Do you know what questions to ask a Realtor when buying a home??
Home buyers are an interesting study. Some will walk through a home barely speaking a word, giving little indication if they like or dislike the property. They have a clear picture of what they want, and they know it when they see it. Others will come in with dozens of questions and comments, letting their feelings?be known throughout the process. Whether you?re the quiet or the questioning type,?it?s important to find out as much as you can about a house before buying it.?Following are some questions to ask a Realtor when buying a home.
- What can you tell me about the home?s history?For example, how many times has it previously been on the market, and what did it sell for? Did anything?unusual?ever happen in this home or on the property that I should know about?
- Have any major changes occurred?Have rooms been renovated or added? And if you?re worried about water issues, don?t be shy asking about the condition of the basement, plumbing and roof.
- How much are taxes and utilities??This is important as you want to make sure you can afford your monthly payments. Plus, extremely high utility bills could indicate a problem with the house. If you?re purchasing a condo or a townhouse, be sure to ask if there?s a homeowners? association fee.
- What about pests?This can range from insects to wildlife to weeds. After all, an infestation is an infestation, and unexpected surprises can be unpleasant.
- Am I covered??Can the current homeowners provide warranties and documents related to appliances, the furnace or boiler, and/or anything mechanical in the house or garage, or on the property?
More questions to ask a Realtor when buying
- What are the neighbors like?
- Is the neighborhood quiet?
- Where are the closest schools, playgrounds, stores, restaurants, gyms, etc.
- Are there a lot of children in the neighborhood?
- In your professional opinion, what would be a fair offer for this house and what do you base that price on?
- What is your impression of the overall condition of the house?
- Why are the current homeowners selling the home?
- What are similar homes in the neighborhood selling for?
- Have there been previous offers on the house that have been rejected?
- How long has the property been on the market?
- Are the walls and the attic well insulated?
These are just a few common questions to ask a Realtor when buying. Because every situation and every house is different, the questions frequently change. Just keep in mind that the key to a successful transaction is asking questions and raising any concerns you may have before you sign on the dotted line. A professional Realtor or real estate agent should be patient and willing to address all of your concerns.?Learn more about the basics of looking at a home by watching a short video by the Olear Team.